Thursday, July 21, 2005

SBQ - July 21, 2005

I'm a day late with my SBQ. I'd like to say it is because I've been carefully considering the question and framing a well thought out answer. Alas, that is not the case. I'm just late!

"Have you ever done a color conversion? If so, what did you think about your results and would you do it again? If not, would you like to try someday?"

First let me say that what I enjoy about stitching is the process - shopping for stash, kitting the projects, starting and stitching them. Changing the colors (or heaven forbid the design!) is not my idea of a good time. With that said, from time to time I do lose my mind and change something. A few examples:

BH&G – Prizewinning Mini Samplers – Blooming Rosebuds This design is part of a larger sampler and uses a variety of colors. I wanted to see how it would look stitched with just one overdyed, so here it is with Needle Necessities #127. Is that even a conversion?



















Bent Creek Summer Zipper - this is an old zipper and came with floss instead of perle cotton. I'm addicted to stitching these with perle cotton so I converted it to perle. Not all of the colors used were available in perle so I fudged a few of them. Check out this pic - you can see the dark green of the melon rind it too dark next to the blue checks. Note to self - if you can't find a good perle match, stitch it with the floss!





















Blackbird Designs Country Garden - I stitched it the first time with the colors it called for, only on Waterlily fabric. The second time I stitched it on Buttermilk fabric but changed the flowers to WDW Americana. I think it turned out ok - not great, just ok.







































La-D-Da Bless This House - This design begged to be stitched BIG so (with help!) I converted the Sampler Threads to a variety of #5 perle cotton sized fibers. This is a WIP, for a pic see my July 18th post. So far it looks pretty good, but I have a long way to go.

So I've made some good decisions and some bad decisions. The key is that I don't enjoy making changes. It just isn't fun. I'm impressed with stitchers who can look at a design done in multiple shades of blue and say "wow, I'd like to stitch that in purple" and change all of those blues to purples. I can't do that! And I don't even want to try.

No comments: