Saturday, January 25, 2014

Dorothy. I Think I Love You.

I have a list - a long list - of projects that need to be photographed and blogged about.  I just haven't been inspired to blog until I snapped a few pictures today of Dorothy Walpole. What, you ask, is a Dorothy Walpole?  She is a beautiful sampler reproduced by The Scarlet Letter, an Irish Quaker sampler from 1774 with lots of fun specialty stitches and pretty colors.  Hubba hubba!!

From the pictures you would never know I touched up Dorothy with the iron.  Groan!  The first two photos were taken in sunlight.


How about a close-up?


The wrinkles hardly show with indoor lighting.


I am trying to stitch from my stash, so the fabric is something labeled Country French, 32 count, and the floss is DMC.  The fabric called for was 40 count, but alas I didn't have anything in my stash that worked with the DMC colors.

With the extra framing fabric at the top and bottom, Dorothy is - gasp - a YARD long. 

She's going to be a beauty!

7 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

A yard long! So just a little slip of a thing! I'm glad you posted because now I can remember to tell you I finally stitched that ornament kit you made for me!

Anonymous said...

That's one seriously long sampler! It will be fun seeing her grow :)

Katrina said...

Gorgeous!!!!!! She's on my list :-).

Sharon said...

Beautiful! Let's see some more pictures please!

Karoline said...

Dorothy is looking gorgeous, great progress

valerie said...

Gorgeous start! Dorothy is one of my favorite samplers!

Linen Stitcher said...

Well, at a yard long, you have me beat. I just posted about my latest finish -- Yes! A finish AND a blog post! Can you believe it? -- but mine was "only" 26 inches by 8 inches. Let's see . . . you posted in January, and I'm just reading this in April. Have you finished it yet? :-) (Sorry, I couldn't resist asking.) Can't wait to see this beauty when you DO finish it!